Over the past few months, I’ve been observing MetroNet as they prepare our neighborhood for Fiber Internet. Now that I’ve had it for a little while, I’d like to discuss the technical process and my experience!
The preparation for the project was extensive and lasted for several months. Firstly, the underground utility markers were sent to mark the existing utility lines. After the markers were installed, the construction team spent several days on my street running conduit underground. To begin with, they dug holes at corners and every few houses where new access boxes would be placed. Then, they used directional drilling to push and pull the conduit underground, in between the boxes. Next, they pulled the main fiber lines into our neighborhood.
After finishing the installation of the infrastructure, I received a notification to schedule an appointment. I had been on the waiting list at MetroNet for a while. When I clicked the link provided in the notification, I was pleasantly surprised to see an available appointment just two days later.
The crew arrived on time and came in to take a look around. I requested that they use the existing service entrance that the Cable and Phone currently use and mount the inside jack next to the electrical panel.
First, they ran the outdoor fiber, it was black with a tracer wire. They manually pulled this wire through the conduit from a fiber access terminal about 4 houses up the street, to my front yard, and then across my lawn. They left this cable exposed with some yellow ‘caution’ tape. With Halloween approaching, I was concerned that the Trick or Treaters would snag the fiber line… MetroNet did inform me that a separate crew would return within 14 days to bury the line.
Next, they placed a Network Interface Unit (DEMARC) on the outside of the house, connecting the fiber, but leaving the tracer wire hanging outside of the box.
From the DEMARC, they ran white “MetroNet OPTICAL FIBER CABLE GJAFJV-1B6b3 G657B3 (UL) OFNP 3.0mm 05/04/23 0445m” the wood board next to my electrical panel.
The technician performed his 3rd splice on the end of this cable here in the house. They spliced on a prefabricated end here. The other splices were outside at the DEMARC, and down the street at the terminal.
After they spliced on a SC/APC connector to the end of the cable, they surface-mounted an inside jack.
Finally, they hooked up the equipment. MetroNet provided an SC/APC 2m yellow fiber cable to go from the inside terminal to the ADTRAN box. The provided Adtran SDX 622v is an ONT (Optical Network Terminal), with a 10GbE fiber port (Connection to MetroNet’s network), a 1GbE Port, a 10GbE Port, Power, and 2 Phone ports. This device is registered on MetroNet’s network, it converts their fiber connection to a copper ethernet connection.
They also provided an Eero Pro Router, however, I used my existing router, switches, and access point.
When it came to activating, the technician used an app on his phone and the MAC address of the ADTRAN. The service was active within just a few minutes, and I was able to perform a speed test.
The installation took a little over 2 hours. The install price was $50, and I initially started with their lowest package of 100MB per month. After installation, I upgraded to the 500Mb speed, for $50/month.
MetroNet charges a ‘“Technology Service Fee” of, around $13 every month added on to your bill. This ‘fee’ covers the expense of technicians coming to your house and fixing or replacing wiring or other equipment.
About a week later my neighbor to the North got MetroNet installed. I was surprised that they ran the line for their fiber from the terminal in the middle of my front lawn, diagonally across our lawns to their terminal box.
Several days later my fiber line was buried, exactly on the 14-day mark. It was buried by hand, with the associate making a v in the grass, and then laying the fiber in the v. I noticed it was about 2 inches deep across the entire yard, and I walked across it to make sure it was packed back down.