Simple WSPR Pi Setup
- Raspberry Pi 3 $39.99 (Other models will work)
- Memory Card for Raspberry Pi, Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse, USB Power for setup, usb cable, hdmi cable, case (Or get a kit http://amzn.to/2nQQW4O)
- Install (Mount) Shield on Raspberry Pi (Instructions) (Transmitting Only)
- Attach Antenna
- My Random Wire Antenna: 16.5′ 16 Guage Solid Wire, 1/4″ Stripped and Attached to the ‘Ant’ Screw. Nothing on the Ground Screw. Wire taped up onto the walls.
- Install RTL-SRD in USB Port (Receiving Only)
Raspberry Pi Setup for Transmitting and Receiving
- Download and setup the latest version of Raspbian. This guide was based on ‘Raspbian Jessie with Pixel 2017-03-02’
- Install Raspbian Jessie with Pixel, following these instructions.
- Boot up, connect to wifi.
TAPR Shield Transmitter – Transmitting Beacons
- Following the instructions here, or you can use this summarized version below:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/JamesP6000/WsprryPi.git
- To make a transmission:
- sudo ./wspr -r -o -s KE8FZT AA00AA 20 20m
- Replace NOCALL with your callsign (You must be licensed!)
- Replace AA00AA with your gridsquare!
- Source: https://github.com/JamesP6000/WsprryP
RTL-SDR RTL2832U Receiver – Receiving Beacons
- Install some Tools:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake libfftw3-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev curl libcurl4-gnutls-dev ntp
- download the rtl sdr library
git clone git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
sudo make install
- Download WSPRD
- git clone https://github.com/Guenael/rtlsdr-wsprd
- cd rtlsdr-wsprd
- Start Listening
- sudo ./rtlsdr_wsprd -f 14.0956M -c NOCALL -l AA00AA -a 1 -p 45
- Replace NOCALL with your call sign, and AA00AA with your grid square.
- If you get an error about already in use, run this, then the above
- sudo rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu rtl2832